2019 Black Authors Network Book Fair and Art Show
2019 Black Authors and Artists
Author: Derrick Barnes
Title: Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
Congratulations to Derrick Barnes, our featured author, for receiving the 2018 EZRA JACK KEATS AWARD - New Writer for his work in CROWN!
And congratulation for its FOUR ALA (American Library Association) AWARDS — Newbery Honor, Caldecott Honor, Coretta Scott King Author Honor, and Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor!
Workshop: 1:00 p.m.
Featured Presentation Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
Author: C. L. Fails
Titles: Ella Books Series
The Secret World of Raine the Brain
The Christmas Cookie Series
Workshop: 11:00 a.m.
Understand hope as a driving force, learn to tap into hope and how to retrain your internal/external dialogue to increase what's possible when writing and publishing your work. Holding onto Hope: The Power of “Yet”
2019 is our second annual event - if you are passionate about education and creative ways to increase the love of reading, art AND the value of having our stories captured from our perspective, join our planning committee! Send us your information through our contact page - we'd love to have you join us!
The Black Authors Network and Art Show is sponsored by the W.E.B. DuBois Learning Center. Our goal for the network is to be a creative and educational resource for aspiring authors, artists, readers and the learning community and to provide a venue for African American authors and artists to showcase and discuss their work.
Objectives of the Network
- Raise awareness of Black Authors and Artists on the local and national scene whose writing uplifts, inspires, educates, challenges and stimulates an interest and desire in reading.
- Provide a venue where authors and artists come together to share their work and creative experience with the community and other authors.
- Inspire, encourage and support aspiring authors and artists through the events, provoke transformational thoughts and ideas of our guests.
- To provide a platform for young people to explore the benefits of reading and art to cultivate a love of writing, reading and art.
- To provide opportunities to explore writing and art as a career choice and to work on their own writing and art projects.